DesignMeetings is the Research website for Virtu Design Institute and therefore is the place where the Virtu Research Committee communicates its activities, its people and its publications. We have listed below the members of the Virtu Research Committee and all of them can be contact through our Contact Us tabs throughout the site.
The Research Committee endeavors to develop the reputation and standing of Virtu, as an institution where research is conducted at nationally and internationally recognised standards, focusing on research relevant to the economic, social and cultural well-being of the design disciplines, the professions and the communities they serve. The committee operates within the following Terms of Reference:
- Encourage research and scholarly activity of national and international standing in the various disciplines of design;
- Advise the Academic Board on appropriate Key Performance Indicators (KPI) and national and international benchmarks for monitoring Virtu’s research performance;
- Identify and enhance areas of excellence in research, and establish centres that promote interdisciplinary research within Virtu;
- Facilitate research carried out in collaboration with industry, government and community organisations;
- Increase the use by commerce and professional organisations of the research and expertise of Virtu, while generating income to support research and education;
- Develop collaborative research links with partner institutions to facilitate research;
- Attract and encourage staff who demonstrate a commitment to research excellence and research supervision;
- Encourage staff to undertake research and research related courses as professional development;
- Establish a program of visiting researchers to assist in the establishment of a research culture at Virtu;
- Provide on line environment that fosters research including access to information technology and necessary library resources.
- Plan specific research promotion activities each academic year with appropriate performance indicators.
In the future when Research Degrees are offered by Virtu, the Research Committee will also:
- Develop and periodically review a register of research student supervisors;
- Provide research training for doctorate and masters by research students;
- Develop and maintain a procedure for the monitoring of the progress of research students;